Saturday, November 15, 2014

Chettinad Pepper Chicken

About a month ago we went to this restaurant in the heart of Jeddah. It's a newly opened one and has good reputation mainly for their mouthwatering Indian cuisine. Like any restaurant you may see in the Kingdom, it has separate dining areas respectively for men and families. Stunning interior and welcoming atmosphere are two things you will fall in love with.

So, grazing through the menu card, finally we decided to try this Chettinad Chicken with Naan, just out of curiosity over the picture that was illustrated. However at the back of my mind, I had a thought that what will come to the table is definitely not going to be like how it is illustrated... But for my surprise, I was wrong!! I saw the picture of this curry in a small clay pot garnished with fried dried chillies and curry leaves topped with chopped cilantro. Just like how I described, it was served. I must say, it was fabulous! Naan plus Chettinad Chicken is a WOW combo! 

I decided to try this out by myself. I pre-programmed to make it for the following day lunch. (Thank god! My pantry had all what I needed) I tried and I must say although I am kind of amateurish in authentic South Indian cooking, this dish didn't disappoint me,so much so that I can fearlessly share my (simple)recipe with you all!! :D



Ingredients:

Cleaned and Cut Chicken - 1 Kg
Ginger & Garlic Paste - 1 Tbsp
Turmeric Powder - 1 Tsp
Chilli Powder - 1 to 2 Tsp
Cumin Powder - 1 Tbsp
Garam Masala Powder - 1/2 Tsp
Salt - to taste
----------------------------
Finely Chopped Onions - 2 Cups
Finely Chopped Tomatoes - 3 medium sized 
Oil - 2 Tbsp + Some Extra
----------------------------
Freshly Shredded Coconut - 1/2 Cup
Pepper Corns - 1 Tbsp or to taste
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 Tsp
Fennel Seeds - 1/2 Tsp
Curry Leaves - a few
Dried Chilli (Optional) - a few
Oil - 1 Tsp


Method:

1. Marinate the chicken with the first set of ingredients. Keep covered and set aside for about 10 minutes.

2. In a wok, heat oil and add the onions. When it turns translucent add tomatoes and saute for about 2 minutes. 

3. Next, add the marinated chicken, mix well and cook covered on low heat. Do not add water, the chicken should be cooked in its own juices so make sure to stir it often to prevent burning from the bottom.

4. Meanwhile, in a separate pan, heat 1 teaspoon of oil and add the last set of ingredients one by one and roast until you smell that mouthwatering aroma. Once done, allow to cool. Then grind to a fine paste adding few tablespoons of water.

5. When the chicken is around 75% done, add the ground paste and mix well. Drizzle few tablespoons of oil around the pan (inward), cover and cook for another 5-8 minutes.

6. Lastly mix well, check the seasoning and remove from heat.

7. Serve right away with hot white rice or naan. 

(Garnishing Tip: Lightly fry few curry leaves and dried chilli and arrange them on top. Chopped coriander leaves is a good idea too)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...