Saturday, October 24, 2015

Making Evaporated & Solidified Milk at Home

If you are familiar with Indian sweets and desserts, you know what I mean by Evaporated Solidified Milk. It is called Mawa/Khoya/Khoa in India, which is very much important if Gulab Jamuns or Pedas are to be made in its traditional way. 

I love Gulab Jamuns and make them often as well.. But, due the unavailability of E.S Milk, I use full cream milk powder in place of Mawa, with which the Jamuns taste good too. But I wanted to make it the very traditional way. So despite the painstaking part of continuous stirring, I challenged myself making it at home! Bitter truth: It took me almost 3 hours to get to the final product, but I don’t regret, because having the fresh home-made Mawa stored in fridge is always good to celebrate those merry moments with yummy milky goodies.


Learn how to make evaporated solidified milk with stepwise images.


Ingredient(s):
Fresh Milk - 2 L


Method:

1.Heat up a nonstick or heavy bottomed vessel and pour the milk. The rest is all about stirring and nothing else. The milk should be cooked in low medium flame and should be stirred in every 2 minutes intervals to avoid getting burned. what you should end up with is, the solid form of milk. Refer the pictures.



2. Once the milk has reached solid-like consistency, turn off the heat and allow to come to room temperature. It may take few hours.

3. By now the milk will be thicker than how it was. Collect all of it, wrap with cling film and refrigerate for future use.

1 comment:

  1. Never tried in home.. Thanks for the stepby step tutorial.. Looks grt I will try

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...